Friday, October 8, 2010

Nonverbal Immediacy Behaviors

            After taking the quiz, my non verbal immediacy behavior score came out to be a 90. This does not surprise me at all because I am certainly a more non verbal person then I am a verbal one. For some reason I feel much more comfortable speaking with my hands and body language than if I were to use verbal communication. When I heard the mean score for college women was 102, I immediately agreed with the outcome. Women express themselves and communicate much differently than men do. Women are more satisfied with touching and creating a close bond with the other person they are speaking to. Men like to have their space and don’t necessarily enjoy that very much.
            Throughout the course of a day, some non verbal behaviors that I may use are smiling, touching, and using my hands. When I smile it indicates to someone else that I am having a great day and nothing is going wrong. Touching allows the other person to know that I am listening to what they have to say and aren’t just passively listening. And using my hands to express myself helps me to get my point across or build on an idea that I may be communicating to someone else. I believe that I use a great deal of non verbal skills throughout my day that works for me. Perhaps I can work on my verbal skills to see if I am more comfortable expressing myself in that way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment