Sunday, October 24, 2010

Styles of Listening

After reviewing the four different listening styles mentioned within the textbook, I would have to come to the conclusion that I am more of a content centered listener. I have always been someone that would listen to others in order to get the information, what is being mentioned, and the overall “meat” of the conversation. For some reason, I believe that if I am able to grasp all the information being mentioned within interpersonal communication, I will understand where that other person is coming from and essentially what kind of person they are.
Even though I can be a very emotional person sometimes, I tend to let emotions not get in the way. If I am clearly upset about something and can’t hide my feelings, then at that point there is nothing that I can do. Personally, I try to worry about the content and the most important aspects of the conversation rather than perhaps what that person is feeling. Being a people centered listener is sometimes not always a good thing. You may believe that your friend is upset about something when in reality he/she isn’t. This could lead to an argument and even miscommunication. This is why I tend to be more content centered when dealing with interpersonal communication.
This listening approach is one that I always have been comfortable with. However, I know that sometimes it is not always the most effective. There will be times when people are going to want you to explain how you are feeling and bringing in your emotions may be vital. I am going to have to learn to be more open within interpersonal communication for I know that being content centered may not always be the best bet.
One time, my friend was going through a tough time after breaking up with her boyfriend. She came to me to vent about what had happened and how everything went about. Immediately, I felt like I needed to be content centered in order to get all the facts straight. I could tell in her body language and her voice that she was extremely upset about the situation and just needed a shoulder to cry on. At this moment, I knew that I needed to switch my listening style. I knew that I had to be a people centered listener and help my friend realize that everything was going to be okay. I see now that different listening styles are effective in different situations. Also, perhaps one listening style isn’t better than another.

No comments:

Post a Comment