Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Self Disclosure and Social Networking



            After reading the article, I would definitely agree with the idea that as a society we are revealing too much information about ourselves through the cyber world. We are beginning to trust our relationships with online users to the point where nothing seems to be a secret any longer. When acting this way, it can potentially lead to danger if we don’t start watching what we say to others. As the article describes, giving out too much personal information can to lead to things that we would never even think to happen. The Johari window utilizes four main aspects of self disclosing and helps us to decide what or how much of something we tell to others. When looking at a window for myself, I had noticed that perhaps I am disclosing too much information to others.
            It is always good to trust others, however sometimes I put things in my “open” box that perhaps I shouldn’t. Things that are in my “open” box may actually be more appropriate in my “hidden area”. I am someone who doesn’t mind expressing something to others or letting others into my life, however it may be safer to pick and choose what exactly it is I decide to disclose. I agree with the fact that people disclose in order to get things off their chest or to vent about something that they are going through. I feel that this could be the number one reason as to why people disclose to others in the first place. Social networking is how people share common interests and work together to express their emotions. There is nothing wrong with this, but I agree with what was mentioned in the article. Giving out too much information isn’t always the best of ideas. As a cyber user myself I am going to work to disclose less of my personal information.

No comments:

Post a Comment