Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Interpersonal Communication and Conflict

            Conflict is something that we cannot escape as human beings. It will always be something that we have to deal with and find a way to resolve. Everyone goes about dealing with conflict in different ways and it is usually a way that seems to work best for the individual. One way to deal with conflict may not be better than the next; however there are certain ways to handle conflict in certain situations. When I am faced with conflict I tend to make the relationship with that person stronger rather than weaker. I get to really understand where the other person is coming from and what they are trying to get across. By dealing with conflict, I am able to gain a level of respect for the other person and always put myself in their shoes. This helps the relationship grow stronger because both individuals are now connecting with one another on a whole different level than they did before.
            The style that I am most comfortable using would have to be avoiding or denying conflict. Although I usually face conflict head on, there are many times when I rather not deal with it and don’t want to believe that it exists. This usually is the case when I believe that I have nothing to apologize for. Even though this may not be the right way to deal with conflict, it is the one that I always seem to use. For example, I have recently been having problems with my roommate. We have lived together since our freshmen year and now we are juniors. We have come to the point where maybe living together is hurting our relationship. Whenever there is conflict between the two of us, we tend to go to others to talk about things before talking to each other in person which allows for even more conflict to arise. By doing this we are avoiding the situation until it cannot be avoided any longer. Once we decide to come together to discuss the issue, we face the conflict and find a way to get over it. We have both agreed that having two different roommates next semester may actually be better for us and may even bring us closer together.
            However, when in an argument or something of that nature with my sister, I tend to use power and influence. My sister and I are always trying to out do the other no matter what the situation may be. Neither I nor my sister wants to believe that we are wrong in any situation. Therefore, the arguing and conflict never really come to an end. This is very selfish, but I deal with conflict in a different manner with my sister than I would with a friend of mine. When having to deal with future conflict I am going to try to use empathy to the best of my ability. Although that is sometimes something that we don’t want to do, it may make the conflict end and reach a solution of some sort. Additionally, I am gong to decide on the best solution and what makes the most sense. Making sure that the conflict is resolved fairly and that the agreement works best for both individuals can be the best solution to any conflict. I am going to take notice of the way I handle conflict in the future and decide whether it is effective or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment